OST File - Knowledgebase
What is OST file?
OST is the short form of Offline Storage Table files created by MS Outlook. OST files store the offline work and as soon as the server is connected and MS Outlook turns online, all the saved emails and information is delivered to respective client immediately. That is, due to OST files, you can work offline as well and server is automatically synced. In certain cases where network is limited or unreliable, creation of OST files proves to be the excellent process. Creation of OST files, permits user to work in server downtime situations as well.
When you are working in an Offline mode, MS Outlook creates an exact copy of user mailbox on Exchange Server named as Offline folders with OST file extension. The aforementioned file is saved locally on your desktop named as Offline folder file. OST files are exact replica of the folders of an individual user on Exchange. Every modification made while working offline, is automatically synchronized when you are connected to Exchange Server.
Using the send/receive command, you can perform send or receive functions and copy the changes which were made while working offline. Permanently deleted items are removed from the Exchange server’s copy as well. However, there could be several reasons that corrupt an OST file. In such cases, OST to PST converter freeware comes handy. The OST to PST converter freeware converts OST file to PST file in a couple of minutes and makes it possible to access emails, contacts, journals, notes, tasks etc effortlessly.
Salient Features of OST to PST Tool:
- Convenient conversion of inaccessible, unusable Offline Storage Table (OST) files to Personal Storage Table (PST) files.
- Recovers lost Emails and other Email items.
- Recovers permanently deleted Emails.
- Preserves complete Email formatting.
- Recovers Emails in Plain Text, RTF (Rich Text Format) and HTML format.
- Recovered Emails can be saved in PST, DBX, EML and MSG format such that Email data can be accessed using MS Outlook and Outlook Express.
- Embedded with more interactive, user-friendly GUI, no technical skills required.
- Supports all versions of MS Exchange Server, MS Outlook and Outlook Express.
- Free to try Evaluation Version available and allows user to test features and functions of the software.
- Allows user to find particular Email items.
- Facilitates user saving Email items just by selecting a date from a date range.
- Recovers mail messages, folders, posts, appointments, contact addresses, tasks, meeting requests, journals, notes, calendar, drafts, Emails deleted from “Deleted Items” folder.
- Recovers attachments like documents and images embedded in HTML.
- Recovers Email properties such as Subject, To, From, CC, BCC, and date.
- Recovers password-protected OST files. Supports both compressible encryption and high encryption.
- 30 days money back guarantee.
- Free from viruses and is completely safe to be installed on the computer system.
- Round-the-clock technical support.
- Live Update feature such that a user has the feature-rich latest updated version installed.
- Live Support feature to help users in easily operating the software.
When MS Outlook is run for the first time on a computer, it creates the important data files automatically. OST files are created as soon as you start working on MS Outlook. Outlook data files are saved at C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
If you wish to create an OST file yourself, then follow the instructions below:
- Click on the File Menu and select Work Offline option
- Offline file is created on your computer and all data from the server is copied to the new Offline Folder File (OST)
- Select folders for offline utilization. Usually Inbox, Outbox, Deleted Items, Sent Items, Calendar, Contacts and Task folders are automatically made available offline. In order to select any other folder, then follow the instructions given below:
[A] On Tools menu > Send/Receive > Send/Receive Settings > Define Send/Receive Groups
[B] In the list, click the Send/Receive group comprising of Exchange account and then click Edit
[C] Under Accounts, select your Exchange account
[D] In the Folders option, select the folders that you want to use Offline
Note- Here you can do one of the following:
- Select Download headers only (In this case OST file will not contain every file, but only a limited information so that you browse quickly through the OST file even when you are working online)
- Select Download complete item including attachments
You can set limit to the download of items that exceed the specified size to headers only as well.
- OST files are of immense importance while working offline. Users across the globe use this method to keep their work safe and secure. Due to OST you never lose your work; no matter whether the Exchange server is connected or not.
- OST files offers the flexibility to work offline without actually connecting to the server.
- In cases of accidental mailbox deletion or mailbox data corruption, OST file serves as a backup of your previous important email items. User can recover emails and save them in PST format anytime.
Thanks to all these advantages, user can work continuously and the data is safe irrespective of any number of server crashes.