How to compact OST File?
Compacting OST file actually facilitates you to regain the extra space that is generally available in the OST file. In fact, this is one such process that helps in increasing the storage capacity on hard disk by the amount released from the OST file. Moreover, there are certain chances for OST files getting corrupted due to size issue. And corruption may lead to huge amount of data loss and wastage of time.
You must remember that any deletion operation never ever deletes emails and other items from your mailbox. Such deletion operation just makes the OST file as deleted; therefore, you are just not able to view those items in your mailbox. In addition, the space that is generally occupied by those items is also not relinquished from OST unless you do not compact OST file.
However, it is important to note that in order to compact OST files, you must ensure that the size of OST is greater than or equal to 16 KB. If the size is less than 16 KB, then you may just not be capable of compacting OST file.
MS Outlook on some regular interval of times automatically compact OST file. However, for that only MS Outlook should be running. Due to this limitation of MS Outlook, you sometimes need to manually compact OST file. Mentioned below are the steps that help you to compact OST file in MS Outlook with ease and effectiveness in MS Outlook 2013 and 2016:
- Start MS Outlook.
- Delete the unwanted mails or mails of no use.
- In the left pane, right-click on the deleted items folder, and then click Empty Folder.
- Now, click File tab. And go to Account Settings tile and again click Account Settings.
- A new dialog box will open, click Data Files and now select the data file that you want to compress.
- After selecting the data file, click on Settings which will open a new dialog box.
- Now click on Compact Now and then click OK.
- The compact process will start.
The manual process however seems easy, but is a bit time-consuming and there is no surety of data integrity. And you can even lose your crucial data if any intrusion takes place.
So, it's better to use a third party tool OST Recovery software which allows smooth repair and recovery process even for the large-sized files. It intelligently scans the corrupt OST files and make them accessible to users within just few clicks. And the best that one can expect from this OST to PST Converter tool is the preview function within the tool's interface which allow users to have a keen sight of the data recovered. This third party tool keeps data's hierarchy and formatting intact. The user-interface is simple and easy to understand, so, users without any technical knowledge can swiftly carry on the conversion process. Few easy steps that illustrate the tool's functioning are:
- Select the file to be converted.
- Completely recovers the mailbox data like contacts, mails, attachments and even the permanently deleted items rapidly.
- After the recovery process, the tool let users to preview the restored mailbox data.
- Now, select the file format like PST, MBOX, HTML, RTF, TXT etc. in which you want to save the data and give the desired saving location.